Monday 5 March 2012

Blocks and a bit of shopping!

This weekend I really wanted to  concentrate on my blocks for the Sew Happy QAL. I needed to still finished last weeks one and start the one I had been dreading......foundation piecing.

Some after some prep on Saturday by cutting and marking all the fabric I settled down yesterday afternoon to sew them together.

Firstly the HST Diamond block

This came together wonderfully quick, and amazingly it lines up so well! I must be improving slightly, as I didn't need to unpick any of this.

Then came the QuatraStat foundation piece block


The tutorial for this block was a video and it was fantastic. Seeing it in the flesh, gave me a better idea of how it works and I can tell you I did a dance around the kitchen when I finished it.  If you have ever wanted to try paper/foundation piecing you must watch this tutorial as it takes all of the mystery away from it.
After this block,  I decided I am a visual learner as things just slot into place in my head better when I have images.
So, the QAL has just one more block to go. Here are my 11 blocks so far.

I'm liking this Riley Blake fabric  more and more. The name Delighted! suits it perfectly, as I'm delighted with it.
I needed buy some bits to get ready to finish the quilt and used this as a great excuse to visit a new sewing shop in North London called Ray-Stitch.
                              

It was wonderful and had the most fantastic fabrics. I only had to get some wadding but ended up with some fat quarters that caught my eye!

I'm not to sure what to use them for yet, but I doubt they will go to waste. I think the fabric is called Nicey Jane by Heather Bailey Fabrics, I just really liked the freshness of the yellow and greys.
I'll be back tomorrow with my One a Day update. xx

2 comments :

  1. Your blocks look fabulous, I have always wanted to have a go at quilting. What a lovely shop, look forward to seeing what you do with those pretty fat quarters.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the blocks you have made, and that shop looks really good. Its posts like these that make me want to get a sewing machine and start quilting!

    ReplyDelete

I know time is precious, so thank you so much for taking the time to leave me a message xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...